Preconditions for designation
The following must be proved before and during designation:
- Fulfilment of the general criteria of EN ISO/IEC 17025, EN ISO/IEC 17020 or EN ISO/IEC 17021-1, of relevant for testing documents and the requirements of the Type Approval procedure
- A consistent effective and efficient quality management system in accordance with the standard in the headquarters and in any existing branch offices
- Recognition of the KBA designation rules
- Unambiguous legal status of the applicant
- Registration of the headquarters in the European Economic Area
- Independence of the applicant and the appointed personnel
- Internally authorized persons to sign test reports (at test laboratories) or auditors (at certification bodies) who have been trained on approval relevant requirements
- The availability of the necessary instruments and equipment for testing (at category A technical services)
- The use of state of the art methods, in particular concerning of Type Approval.
Details are to be found in the designation rules and relevant documents of the respective rules.