Types of procedures
The designation is carried out in accordance with a procedure developed by the KBA on the basis of the relevant legal acts and standards. The Administrative Procedures Act (VwVfG) and the Federal Fees Act (BGebG) apply.
An accreditation certificate drawn up under Regulation (EC) No 765/2008 may also be used to demonstrate compliance with the general requirements for the quality management system and the carrying out of technical tests.
- There is no accreditation certificate
- The assessment is completely carried out by the Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt (KBA).
- In case of initial and re-designation, a joint assessment team (JAT) in accordance with Article 73(4) of Regulation (EU) 2018/858 is established.
- The designation may be based on the existing accreditation certificate. Management system and test scope can be partially accredited.
- The non-accredited components are evaluated by the Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt (KBA) and a joint assessment team.
- In addition, the KBA evaluates compliance with the approval relevant requirements (see designation rules).
- The designation may be based on an existing accreditation certificate.
- The basis for this is that the existing accreditation under Regulation (EC) No 765/2008 has been granted by an accreditation body registered in the European Economic Area.
- In this case, the assessment by the Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt (KBA) extends exclusively to the consideration of the approval-relevant requirements.
On request, a combined procedure can be carried out for designation according to EN ISO/IEC 17020 and EN ISO/IEC 17025.
The quality management system is in general evaluated according to EN ISO/IEC 17025. Special features of EN ISO/IEC 17020 are additionally included in the evaluation.
In case of findings, complaints etc. that primarily lead to suspension, limitation or withdrawal of designation, the effects (loss of confidence level) on the respectively other designation will be evaluated.
It is possible to have existing designations extended by means of an extension.
The procedure for extension is analogous to the designation procedure. The designation body may decide on possible other approaches or simplifications.
The expertise of manufacturers of vehicles produced in small series for test procedures according to Regulation (EU) 2018/858, appendix to annex II part I (footnotes B and C) is confirmed using a special procedure. In this procedure, it will be evaluated to which extent quality assuring measures following the relevant principles of EN ISO/IEC 17025:2017, chapters 6 and 7, are installed and effective, regulations of the respective directives or regulations are adhered to and the testing body is competent for the test procedures that are to be evaluated. Issuing this confirmation, the KBA agrees that the tests provided for in the respective regulatory act can be carried out by the manufacturer himself.
In some specific scopes, like for example in case of cybersecurity and software-updates, technical services must meet special requirements. Details are given in the Technology Portal in section Designation – Sanctioned interpretations for technical services categories A/B/D.