Task of the Register of Driver Fitness
The following decisions are stored in the Register of Driver Fitness (FAER):
- Decisions of the driving licence authorities on the withdrawal, refusal or reissue of a driving licence as well as decisions on measures according to the Driver Fitness Assessment System,
- Final decisions on the grounds of an administrative offence insofar as it is listed in Annex 13 to Section 40 Fahrerlaubnis-Verordnung (FeV) [Driving Licence Regulations] (only in German) and a fine of at least 60 euros has been imposed or insofar as a driving ban has been imposed,
- Final decisions of the criminal courts on criminal offences listed in Annex 13 to Section 40 FeV (only in German).
The decisions entered in the driving suitability register are assessed with one to three points depending on the type and severity of the offence and deleted after certain periods. The Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt (Federal Motor Transport Authority) informs the respective competent road traffic office of the person concerned when certain point levels are reached according to the Driver Fitness Assessment System.
Not every offence leads to an entry in the FAER. Only offences that have an impact on road safety are recorded in the FAER.
The Register of Driver Fitness
- transmits the information held in the register to courts, public prosecutors, fine and administrative authorities, police and federal police. These authorities take decisions on necessary traffic education and traffic policy measures in the interest of road safety.
- provides information to the person concerned on the traffic offences registered against him/her.
Do you have any questions?
You can find more information in our Questions and answers - Driving Fitness Register (only in German).