Task of the Central Vehicle Register
The Central Vehicle Register (ZFZR) provides comprehensive data, especially with the modern data transmission procedures ZEVIS in the national area and EUCARIS in the international area.
provides information on vehicle data and owner data, among other things
- in the context of vehicle registration,
- in investigations in connection with administrative offences and criminal offences at home and abroad (see also the Directive on the Cross-Border Exchange of Vehicle Keeper Data; Cross Border Enforcement (CBE)),
- for the prosecution of legal claims in connection with participation in road traffic at home and abroad,
- provides vehicle data and/or keeper data to manufacturers for recall actions in order to eliminate vehicle defects in the interest of road safety and environmental protection,
- supports measures to ensure motor vehicle insurance cover and the implementation of motor vehicle tax law,
- enables support for measures under the Federal Performance and Road Safety Act as well as disaster control within the framework of the laws of the Länder enacted for this purpose,
- supports measures relating to the law on end-of-life vehicles,
- makes vehicle data available to central control centres for fire protection, disaster control and rescue services for the purpose of rescuing accident victims,
- ensures the retrieval of lost registration certificates Part II (vehicle registration documents)
- and carries out the international exchange of information on the re-registration of exported and imported vehicles (REGINA).
The federal states are responsible for licensing law.
Professional article (onl in German)
Addresses of licensing authorities
If you have any questions regarding the registration of motor vehicles, you can find the contact details of the registration authority (road traffic office) responsible for your place of residence here:
Anschriftenverzeichnisse (only in German)