Central Register of Driving Licences
Driving licences with the international driving licence categories A to E, issued since 01 January 1999, are recorded in the Central Register of Driving Licences. Since the implementation of this driving licence the mutual unrestricted recognition of the EU-driving licence is in force in all EU member states. Therefore the obligation for exchange has been dropped even if one’s domicile is changed to another member state.
The Central Register of Driving Licences records
- driving licences issued in Germany according the new standardized EU-categories A to E and the new national categories M, L and T
- beginner drivers’ probationary periods
- driving permits for passenger transport
- duty driving permits of the police, the Federal Police and the Federal Armed Forces
- driving instructor permits and duty driving instructor permits of driving instructors
- entitlements of motor transport experts, inspectors and testing engineers
- The data report by the driving licence authority is submitted to the KBA following the issue of the driving licence – EU-driving licence. All the data relevant to the driving licence is recorded in the Central Register of Driving Licences (personal particulars, driving licence categories, obligations, restrictions etc.) but not the address.